Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Summer Movies!

I had a verbal joust with my English teacher during class...I think I won...
We were reading the Odyssey and my teacher was mispronouncing the words and she got angry when I corrected her.

Teacher(T):The ferryman man at the River Styx is Charon...(she said the 'ch' like in children)

Me(M):I do believe it is pronounced like Karen...

T:No it isn't...

M:Yes it is...

T:NO IT ISN'T!

M:Whatever...
(a few minutes later)
T:...And Odyssyus sailed past Charybdis...(she said it like cherry-dis)

M:I do believe there is a 'b' in that word.

T:Uhh, it's silent.

M:Who's ever heard of a silent 'b'?

T:It's Greek.

M:According to the characters page at the beginning of the story, it's pronounced ka-rib-dis.

T:I TOOK A MYTHOLOGY CLASS IN COLLEGE THAT WAS TOUGHT BY A PROFESSOR WHO HAD THREE DOCTORITES IN GREEK AND LATIN AND MYTHOLOGY AND I'M GOING TO LISTEN TO HIM INSTEAD OF THE BOOK AND HE SAYS IT'S CHERRYDIS!!!

M:there's still a 'b'...
(a little bit later)
T:Odysseyus went home to his son Telemachus(she said tell-a-mach-us)

M:(I knew for a 100% fact that it was pronounced te-lem-a-kus, but a flipped back to the character page to be sure)

T:STOP FLIPPING THE PAGE I PRONOUNCED WRONG PURPOSELY TO SEE WHAT YOU WOULD DO AND YOU DID IT!!!!!




english is awesome

No comments: